You can also raise any concerns with the Information Commissioner’s Office, contact details for which are at https://ico.org.uk/global/contact-us/.
What personal data we hold on you
You may give us information about yourself when filling in membership forms at an event or online, emailing, phoning, corresponding with us or otherwise. This includes information you provide when you register with the Branch and subscribe to our newsletter. The information you give us may include your name, address, email address and phone number. We may also ask for relevant special category data e.g health information so we can best support you.
How we use your personal information
The reason we need your data is to be able to provide the membership services you are signing up to when you register with the Branch. Our lawful basis for processing this data is that it is in the legitimate interests of the Branch and its members. We will use the data only in the ways you would expect – to run the Branch and support its aims. Our lawful basis for sending you marketing by electronic means is your consent.
Our processing about you if you are a member:
- processing of membership forms and payments
- sharing data with lead volunteers to provide information about Branch activities, membership renewals or invitation to activities and events
- Branch newsletter promoting charity activity
Marketing and communications (where separate consent is provided)
- sending information about fundraising and promotions
On occasion, we may collect personal data from non-members (eg any non-member participant who fills in a health disclaimer or carer). Our lawful basis for processing data is consent. We will ask for consent at the point of collecting it.
Any special category health data we hold on you is only processed for the purpose(s) of supporting you. We process this data on the lawful basis of consent. Therefore, we will also need your explicit consent to process this data, which we will ask for at the point of collecting it.
Where we have social media pages, all members are free to join these pages. If you join one of the Social Media pages, please note that the provider of the social media platform(s) have their own privacy policies and the Branch does not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data on the social media pages.
Who we share your personal data with
We do not share or sell your data to any other charity or company for their marketing purposes. However, there are some situations where we use suppliers to help us administrate the services we supply to you, for example:
- companies who deliver bespoke events for us
- organisations or individuals who work with us to provide services for you – like local services like exercise classes or complementary therapies
- website hosting companies we use to administer our website content
- online hosting companies to facilitate events, meetings and webinars
Under some circumstances we may disclose or share your information without your consent, for example if we are required by the police, the courts, or for other legal reasons, including:
- sharing accident and incident information with the Health and Safety Executive
- to report safeguarding concerns
There are formal contracts in place that ensure this processing complies with the law. We handle your personal data with appropriate safeguards in place to ensure its security and we ensure that third parties do the same.
How long we hold your personal data
We will hold your personal data on file for as long as you are a member with us. Any personal data we hold on you will be securely destroyed after one year of inactivity on your part, in line with Parkinson’s UK’s data retention policy. Your data is not processed for any purposes other than those detailed in this policy.
How we keep your personal information safe
We take our obligation to keep your personal data safe and secure very seriously. Our nominated volunteers are only allowed access to your personal data if they have been sufficiently trained in data handling.
Where we collect your personal information
We collect personal information about you in several ways:
- on our website when you utilise the Contact Us form
- when you register to attend one of our in-person or online events
- when you contact us about one of our services
- when you have used a social media platform to contact us – eg Facebook
Your rights regarding your personal data
As a ‘data subject’, you may have the right, at any time:
- to request access to, rectification or erasure of your personal data
- to restrict or object to certain kinds of processing of your personal data, including direct marketing
- to the portability of your personal data and to complain to the UK’s data protection supervisory authority, the Information Commissioner’s Office, about the processing of your personal data.
If you wish to exercise any of your rights, you can contact the Branch directly and the data protection officer at firstname.lastname@example.org or in writing at Parkinson’s UK, 215 Vauxhall Bridge Road, Pimlico, London SW1V 1EJ.